18 November 2010

On Cold Days

It's always a challenge to find things to entertain my little wild things on the days it's too cold to go outside and play.  I was feeling courageous a few days ago and decided to do some Thanksgiving crafts with them.  We started by coloring turkeys.  Sophie has long since been banned from any coloring tools except crayons.  Jonah used watercolors on his and I was very impressed by his coloring each feather a different color and staying inside the lines for the most part.  His scribbling days are past.

Since the coloring pages didn't last more than 15 minutes and we still had hours to kill, I took it a little further and helped them make pilgrim hats.  Picture what you will, but it was not all pleasantries and Martha Stewart-like, it was more of me scolding Sophie for eating the glue stick, stealing the scissors repeatedly, or constantly ripping her head band apart (resulting in a head band with about 50 staples in it).  I'm glad we did it, though.  I want my kids to remember these kinds of things.  I have been trying to spend more one-on-one time with them instead of just sending them off to play (although they enjoy that quite a bit).


3 comments:

Mars said...

oh cute! Such is life with kids :) You're a good mom though. Stay warm!

Teri said...

From the looks of that picture of Sophie I am not sure that she and Isabel should be in the same room together - they would be quite the ornery pair.

Lauren Clyde said...

Your photo shoot pictures are beautiful Sarah! Wow, you never cease to amaze me woman. You exuberate creativity, its very encouraging!

I'm going to copy you & make some pilgrim hats tomorrow ...with my kids of course, he he ;o)