21 June 2012

Our First Chores

It was a day of cleaning splendor.  My hair was up in a messy bun, grown-out bangs too short for my pony-tail stuck to my sweaty forehead.  I had just cleaned the kids' room for the umpteenth time and then it hit me, like a ton of bricks except less painful.  The kids need chores! It's time!

I decided to consult one of my best friends, Pinterest, and I found this idea.  Chore sticks.  We ran to Hobby Lobby and my mind raced with creative ideas on how to make it happen.  I picked up some mason jars, some craft sticks, a little glitter and voila!  My kids are excited to turn over their sticks each time they finish a chore.  And better yet, they have "special" chores that when finished, they get paid for. 

It's been a week and so far I'm nagging much less and finding much less resistance when I ask for chores to be done.  It must be the officiality of it all.  Now that their chores are written on sticks and they have their own jars, they know it needs to be done. 

Growing up my mom tried many different chore charts and methods to get us all to pitch in.  I'm sure we still complained and didn't always do our chores (evidence being the Mom Strike of 1997 and the resulting lock-out of the kids' bathroom.  We had to clean it or use the port-o-potty across the street for the construction workers) but we learned how to clean and the importance of helping each other manage the household duties.  I love my mom and dad for teaching these things and I hope I can help my kids become productive and helpful citizens of society.


No comments: