09 April 2008

A Bad Day

Yesterday was just one of those days that starts out just fine but just gets worse and worse. I went to lunch with Liz Elder and Laura at the Olive Garden, something we do almost every Tuesday at whatever restaurant fits our cravings. Yesterday we were all craving soup and salad...and, I won't lie, bread sticks! After our delicious lunch we went our separate ways in the parking lot. I put Jonah into his car seat and threw my keys on my front seat but as I was throwing them, I accidentally hit the "Lock" button on the key fop. At that moment I told myself that I had to remember to unlock my door before I closed his. I finished the tedious job of strapping Jonah into his 5-point harness and shut the door. PANIC SETS IN!!! I FORGOT TO UNLOCK MY STUPID DOOR!!! I immediately looked around to see if either Liz or Laura is still in the parking lot and luckily Liz hadn't left. I sprinted to her car and she called 911 for me. She said, "Um, I have kind of an emergency that's not really an emergency..." and goes on to give the situation. Well, apparently Provo Police will not unlock your doors for you UNLESS you have a child locked in the car. I sprinted back to my car and Jonah was pretty upset by this point. He looked at me and cried and cried and reached for me through the window. Talk about breaking your heart. Sheesh. So the Policeman showed up about 5 minutes later and unlocked the Jeep quite easily.
Later that day, I went to Wal Mart to get the oil changed and to get a spare key for the Jeep. Of course, when they called my name over the intercom to tell me the Jeep was ready, I ended up with a whole cart full of crap I didn't really need. Wal Mart is always a dangerous venture. I asked the guy for a spare key but, go figure, only the dealership can duplicate my key for a ridiculous price because there's some sort of chip in it and if I tried starting the car with a different key, I'd blow the whole computer. So forget that. So I go to my purse to get my wallet out and, FOR CRAP SAKES, I left my stupid wallet at home. I had to call Jon from 30 minutes away at work to come rescue me at Wal Mart.
I did learn a lesson from all this, however, and it is this: Someone is always there to help me and for this I am very grateful. My sweet husband got there and said he was happy I called because he was bored and was excited to see me. He wasn't the slightest bit frustrated with my forgetfulness.
I know I'm not the only one who has done these types of things...but two in one day is really a blow!

5 comments:

Jeff said...

I'm frustrated with you already. Good thing your husband is nicer than me.

Chrissie Brown said...

Man, I feel for you. At least you have adorable little Jonah to cheer you up in times of need. At least you didn't cry. Or did you?

Sarah Jayne said...

No, I didn't cry, thank goodness. That would have been the end all--be all.

Green Montana said...

Ahhh...good times. I've done the baby-locked-in-car dance and it really bites. I think everyone does it once in their lifetime... and if they haven't, they WILL. These are the kind of days that make you want to curl up in fetal position and hide in your closet.

Mars said...

I'm sorry you had a bad day. When it rains it pours right?? Thank goodness for lots of new days after a bad one right? :)